Bang Bang Chicken, crispy chicken bites with spicy mayonnaise – very good, you’ll have to double the recipe or three times. Then we formally begin our return to Los Angeles.
The engines arrived yesterday, and after 8 hours, they packed everything into a truck and started heading south. See you Monday at our new location, but until then, we’ll cruise the California coast with Gruna. We are so excited that this is our first butter family trip!
But before we left San Francisco, I just had to share the Bang Bang Chicken recipe because it’s really the best chicken recipe. Really.
It is a very simple recipe that will be combined in less than 30 minutes. very easy. All it takes is to paint the chicken on a panko and toss it into the pan until you get this amazing crispy browning.
From there, all you have to do is sprinkle salt over the sweet pepper mayonnaise and you’re done! The sauce is very good, you will want to eat it with a spoon!
Bang Bang Chicken
Would you believe it if I told you I don’t make a lot of fried food? But there are exceptions I make and one of them is the Bang Bang Chicken with a sweet-spicy mayonnaise sauce. This is one of those dishes where I have to fight my husband to stay out of the kitchen until it’s done, otherwise, he will eat all the chicken before I can serve it.
And I definitely don’t blame him, I mean how can you resist this dish when he combines soft chicken and crispy layer completely. With a creamy, spicy, and spicy sauce, this dish is unmatched. So what are we waiting for, let’s cook!
What is the chicken blast?
You might be wondering what Bang Bang Chicken really is, and to my knowledge, it is a snack that hawkers traditionally serve in China. Chicken is usually cooked served cold with a spicy sauce. The recipe seems to be called chicken bang bang because of the batons that were used to hammer the knife feathers that loosened the fibers of the chicken to cut them.
However, this chicken is not shredded, but cut into small pieces, and feel free to cut it as big or as small as you like. Then the chicken is dipped in a mixture of buttermilk marinated with a little sweet pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a little hot sauce, then scraped with some panko breadcrumbs.
The acid in buttermilk helps break down some of the chicken’s fibers and stiffness. Including it in your bread will result in a tender and tender chicken. Whey dough is also paired with Panko breadcrumbs, resulting in the best chicken bites you’ve ever tasted.
INGREDIENTS of Bang Bang Chicken:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Panko*
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Frank’s Hot Sauce
Direction Bang Bang Chicken:
Measurements and detailed instructions can be found on the Bang Bang Chicken recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Chutney: We use sweet chili sauce and hot sauce today for some desserts, some flavor, and some heat for dipping.
- Mayonnaise – This will add a nice creamy base to the sauce, so feel free to use any brand or brand you want.
- Honey – The perfect hit to sweetness in a dipping sauce.
- Spices – salt and pepper.
- Chicken – boneless breast, skin cubes, cut into small pieces.
- Flour: all purposes to create beautiful dredgers to cover our chicken.
- Cornstarch – This will create a thin layer around our chicken that keeps moisture out and creates a crispy crust.
- Spices – Garlic Powder and Smoked Pepper will add the perfect amount of flavor to our chicken bread.
- Hot sauce: use any type of your favorite, Sriracha today.
- Eggs: binder in the chicken mixture, today we need a large egg.
- Milk: Today we use buttermilk, if you only have it on hand, I will include instructions below on how to create your own buttermilk.
- Breadcrumbs: Panko is the best for this recipe and will give you the crunchiest crust you can ask for.
- Spices – salt and pepper.
- Oil: Something smooth with a high smoke point for frying, like canola.
How to make a Bang Bang Chicken
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Preparing the sauce: To prepare the sauce, mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Combine: In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Add the hot sauce, eggs, and milk to the bowl and beat until smooth. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and stir to make sure each piece is coated with the mixture and set aside. In another bowl, add about a cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- Oil heating: Add about 1/2 inch of oil to a large skillet and heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry the chicken: Cover each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs, add more breadcrumbs as needed, and fry on both sides for 3 minutes or until chicken is tender. Put on tissue paper to soak up some oil and repeat with all the chicken pieces. Don’t overcook the chicken, just add a few pieces of chicken to the pan at a time until the chicken is crispy.
- Finish the plate: sprinkle the chicken with the sauce and serve.
Baked Bang Bang Chicken
This recipe is easier to bake, if possible. But if you want to cut calories or prefer baking rather than frying, consider baking this crunchy little dessert.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the butter paper on the baking sheet.
Place the coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the chicken begins to brown and the chicken is tender.
Do you want to make your own milk?
Too easy! If you only have regular milk on hand, fear not, as I only have the solution. You only need to mix 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice for 1 cup of normal milk.
What can I do with Bang Bang Chicken?
These crunchy sandwiches are absolutely delicious on their own, soaked in the sauce, and enjoyed during the break. But if you want to add this to a large extension, you can’t go wrong in addition to these: