Quinoa Chicken Parmesan, so I went to the kitchen to make a favorite recipe for baked chicken with Parmesan cheese. But I quickly realized that I was out of the breadcrumbs, so I took a chance and tried the quinoa skin, and it was the boy, he was in treatment.
Quinoa Chicken Parmesan
This could be the quinoa casserole for all quinoa casserole recipes. If you like the combination of chicken, quinoa, and marinara sauce, you’ll be drooling over the delicious Chicken Parmesan Casserole. It feeds 6 people, making it perfect for a family meal or to prepare a few meals during the week. Not to mention, it’s packed with protein and veggies. What more could you want? cheese! Oh, and that too 🙂
Likes and Dislikes Of Quinoa Chicken Parmesan
Before we move on to this recipe, can we talk for a second about what you like and what you don’t like about food? I have a very short list of foods that I “don’t like”. I will not use the word hate because I hope my tastes will change one day.
Olives – very salty
Eggplant – a strange texture
Mushrooms: a strange texture
3 foods on the hate list and everything else perfect. I would say this is excellent. The reason I bring these 3 foods is that Linley convinced me that the mushrooms should go in the base of the sauce. I was obviously skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the taste of mushrooms in this dish and could barely get a taste of its exotic texture. So if you’re interested in this Mushroom Chicken Parmigiana, I’m here to tell you that they are way hidden and you’re going to love the Quinoa Chicken Parmesan.
How to Make Quinoa Chicken Parmesan
STEP 1: PREP VEGGIES
This recipe calls for onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. Chop 1/2 yellow onion (any color is suitable), then chop the bell pepper and mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Next, layer the vegetables and quinoa at the bottom of the casserole.
STEP 2: ADD MARINARA AND BROTH
Make a healthy Parmesan cheese base by adding marinara and broth. In this step, if you’re hoping to turn this into a vegan recipe, use vegetable broth instead of chicken!
STEP 3: MAKE CHICKEN PARMESAN
In this step, you are basically making a peeled chicken with Parmesan cheese. Here, you will need to wash the eggs (1 beaten egg) and then the Parmesan mixture. You can use whatever flour you like. We tested this with whole wheat flour, all-purpose, and gluten-free. Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture, then dip it in the Parmesan mixture. Make sure it is creamy with the splinter … I mean, the more cheese, the more fun it is!
Vegetarian Tip: If you are a vegetarian, cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch slices and follow this step like chicken.
STEP 4: BAKE PARMESAN CHICKEN AND QUINOA CASSEROLE AT 375ºF
The last step is simple! Cover a ceramic casserole with aluminum foil. Then bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Remove the pan and bake again for 20 more minutes or until the quinoa is completely set.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1.5 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced (~1/2 cup)
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce (any kind of spaghetti sauce will work!)
- 1 cup low-sodium chi (option to sub: vegetable broth or water)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat, but white or gluten-free will work, too!)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 14 “x 10” (or 9 “x 12”) casserole with coconut oil spray.
- Prepare vegetables by chopping whole green peppers and 1.5 cups of mushrooms. Chop 1/2 yellow onion.
- Place a cup of raw quinoa in the bottom of a casserole, then place it over the vegetables.
- Add 3 cups of marinara sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic to the casserole and mix everything together. Sit to the side.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, grated Parmesan, and garlic powder. Next, break an egg into a small bowl and beat it.
- Prepare the chicken breast by dipping it in eggs and then in the Parmesan mixture, making sure everything is well coated. Place the chicken breast over the quinoa mixture.
- Finally, sprinkle with the leftover Parmesan mixture and more cheese, if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Next, unfold the baking dish and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the quinoa is completely set.
TIPS & NOTES
- If you prepare this recipe, a ceramic casserole is your best option. Casserole dishes heat your food much hotter than a classic cake pan, so keep in mind that with baking time! Note: this is what we have.
- Veggie Option: We tried this bad boy with aubergine (at least Linley made it …
- I refused to eat it, well I ate) and it was awesome! If you are a vegetarian …
- you are in luck! You just need to chop the eggplant hot dog and follow the directions like the chicken. You will still need to bake for the full 60 minutes because that is how long it will take for the quinoa to become fluffy.