Slow Cooker Butter Chicken: Jump outdoors and try this creamy butter very easy and light in the clay pot directly. It doesn’t get easier than that.
When we had Indian requests at least once a week. Our usual joint was Beverly Hills, and I always picked up two bowls of Tikka Masala on my way home from work.
But since we moved to the Gulf region, we haven’t had a solution for Indian takeoff for a long time. My craving took weeks, so I finally made this butter at home, and I’m glad I did because the homemade version is so much better and healthier than outdoor orders.
If you have never had chicken butter, it is a very popular Indian dish and can be light or spicy to taste. The recipe has been kept very smooth, but heat seekers can definitely add more hot pepper powder to taste.
Now, this is a very simple croquet dish. It’s a little fried but you toss all the ingredients in a saucepan before tossing it in the slow cooker. Very easy, right? From there, you can let this cook slow and low for 5 hours, which will bring you home with the most aromatic, flavorful, and generous butter chicken.
INGREDIENTS of Slow Cooker Butter Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
DIRECTIONS Slow Cooker Butter Chicken:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion turns translucent for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, tomato paste, flour, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, and ginger powder until well mixed and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes; add salt and pepper to taste.
Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add sauce mixture and stir gently to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 hours.
- Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro if desired.